City of Jacksonville Traffic Engineering Division
The Traffic Engineering Division of the Public Works Department is concerned with the safe and efficient movement of vehicles and pedestrians on the City of Jacksonville's transportation system as well as assisting in the planning of additions or upgrades to that system. This division is responsible for traffic engineering services, street markings and signs, traffic signals and other control devices in the City of Jacksonville. Responsibility includes the regulation and governing of both pedestrian and vehicular traffic through the use of traffic control devices.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Incident Management (Traffic and Maintenance) for Northeast Florida Regional ITS Architecture - FDOT District 2
- Coordinate maintenance resources for incident response with county and city maintenance and construction systems.
- Perform network surveillance for detection and verification of incidents on city streets, and send traffic/incident information and traffic images to regional public safety agencies, such as the City of Jacksonville‘s fire and rescue/sheriff agencies; the
- Provide incident information to travelers using traffic information devices on city streets, and through local ISPs, Web sites, and the local media.
Traffic Signal Control for Northeast Florida Regional ITS Architecture - FDOT District 2
- Coordinate emergency traffic signal control with the county EOC/Warning Point.
- Provide transit signal priority using roadside devices for Jacksonville transit vehicles.
- Coordinate traffic information and traffic control with Clay and St. Johns counties.
- Coordinate traffic information and traffic control with FDOT District 2.
- Coordinate traffic information with military base operations.
- Obtain traffic images and traffic flow data using CCTVs and field sensors, and maintain operational control of its own field equipment.
- Operate traffic signal systems for the City of Jacksonville.
- Provide emergency signal preemption for the City of Jacksonville fire and rescue agencies.
- Provide interconnection between railroad equipment and traffic signal systems to update signal timing when HRIs are blocked by trains.
Traveler Information for Northeast Florida Regional ITS Architecture - FDOT District 2
- Provide traffic and road network information to JTA transit operations.
- Provide traffic information to travelers using City of Jacksonville DMS equipment.
- Provide traffic information to travelers using the county public information system, private companies, the northeast Florida traveler information system, and the media.
Last Updated 3/22/2022